CDL DRIVERS ARE BEING TARGETED in Michigan. Dozens of Motor Carrier Officers were added in 2018 to watch specifically for:
CMV Ban - Use of Hand Held Device (even merely reaching for it)
Left Lane Usage
Speeding in Construction Zones
NEW Law: CDL drivers are requried to notify their employer in writing of any ticket conviction within 30 days of anything other than a non-moving violation.
GOOD NEWS IS: OUR LAWYERS AT CDL VIOLATION CAN PREVENT YOU FROM GETTING “CONVICTED”, THUS PROTECTING YOUR RECORD AND PREVENTING ADVERSE EMPLOYMENT CONSEQUENCES.
What every CDL driver should know:
Handheld Device = 10 points.
Seat Belt Violation = 7 points.
Speeding in a Construction Zone = 10 points
Most all other violations - infractions - citations = 5 points.
Those points are just for the drivers. There are also Compliace Safety Points and fines for the Carrier. In some cases, very high fines. Any violation for any distracted driving of hand held device, (including glancing at a map)
What does this rule mean to drivers and carriers?
Fines and Penalties - Using a hand-held mobile phone while driving a CMV can result in driver disqualification. Penalties can be up to $2,750 for drivers and up to $11,000 for employers who allow or require drivers to use a hand-held communications device while driving.
BEWARE: Most Commercial Vehicle Drivers are unaware that tickets in their personal vehicle count. If a Commerial Driving License holder receives even two speeding tickets in a three year period, the suspension is automatic.
- First Conviction 60 days.
- Second Conviction 120 days
- Third conviction: 1 year.
Any of the following are included in the serious traffic violation category:
- Following too closely.
- Speeding 15+ over the limit
- Accident causing fatality
- Improper lane change
- Operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle without proper class of endorsements
- Reckless Driving
- Operating Under the Influence (.04 or greater)
- Refusing to take a breathlyzer
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Failing to Stop and ID
- Using the vehicle to commit a crime - involving a controlled substance
Other Misdemeanor Offenses: (Cannot be expunged if convicted)
- Bypassing Weight Station
- Disobey Police Officer's Orders
- Reckless Driving
- Operating with a .04 Blood Alcohol Content (half the legal limit)
We encourage you to call our office 844-485-2889 for a no-cost consultation to discuss your options.